how to install a shell on Z-5500g/ howto using as linux machine
Ekkard Gerlach
2003-11-29 20:38:35 UTC
how can I install a shell on Z?
Is there somewhere a howto for Z to use it
as a linux machine?
I wont use that adress&planing stuff that is preconfigured.
I need a shell! I want to download some data to
my 32MB card an study the data with Opera browser
or read big mail file while I'm on the road (public
transport vehicles).

I wonder why Opera claims "no space available" when
I try to download a 7 MB file. The "info" of Z
shows 28M free internal Memory and 32MB free CF-Card
memory. How have I to understand the message of opera?
Where is the CF-card mounted? ..... and so on ...

please help! I need some pointer for first steps.
I'm quite good familiar with linux but can't cope
with Z so far.

I already own these pointers:

http://docs.zaurus.com/
http://www.zaurus.com
http://killefiz.de/zaurus/showapps.php?cat=1

.. but no HowTo concering first steps!

thx
Ekkard
rcobo
2003-11-29 21:12:12 UTC
hello,

you need the terminal app

http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=172

look at this site also for general information

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index

if you have problems downloading large files with opera, you may want to
install wget
(wget needs the terminal app and it will download to your current dir)

http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=715

Joshua Davis
2003-11-29 22:01:21 UTC
<snip>
Post by rcobo
hello,
you need the terminal app
http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=172
<snip>

Instead of the default Terminal application above, you may want to take a
look at http://www.killefiz.de/zaurus/showdetail.php?app=385. It has a lot
of features missing in qpe-terminal.

Joshua
rhkelly
2003-11-29 22:11:38 UTC
Post by Ekkard Gerlach
how can I install a shell on Z?
The simple one I use was on the CD that came with my Z;
there are others - with more bells and whistles - on the
web.
Post by Ekkard Gerlach
I want to download some data to
my 32MB card an study the data with Opera browser
or read big mail file while I'm on the road (public
transport vehicles).
Even better - if the html of those files is relatively
simple - is the 'Help Browser' built-in application.
I regularly use ut with very large reference manuals
in html format and it is much faster than Opera.

Just in case, the following is a good compilation of
various Zaurus links on the web:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/zaurus/

Then ther's *The* Zaurus Faq:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/zaurus-faq/