SL-5600 and Pretec SD card
Max Muzi
2004-01-03 10:47:12 UTC
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing big troubles trying to use a 128MB SD card by Pretec on a
Zaurus SL-5600 either with Sharp or OZ images. Upon insertion, sometimes
the card apparently seems to work properly, but after a while, or after
one tries to copy a large file onto it, it stops working and lots kernel
messages get printed, such as the following:

mmc read checked internalbuf: ERROR adr = 42391552 (0x286d800) , len =
1024 (0x400)
[SD]-R 286d800 0400 ERROR!
pxa_sd_receive_chars: wait full FIFO time out by jiffies (cmd=18
block=26[32k])
sd_read_multiple(1) : receive error
mmc read checked internalbuf: ERROR adr = 42392576 (0x286dc00) , len =
1024 (0x400)
[SD]-R 286dc00 0400 ERROR!
SD read CRC error
sd_read_multiple(1) : receive error

When this occurs, extracting and reinserting the card doesn't help, but if
I keep it off the Zaurus for a while, it starts working again.

I also tried reformatting the card with fdisk to no avail.

Basically, I don't know how to determine if this is just a compatibility
issue, or something (the card, hopefully) is actually not functioning
properly.

Could anyone help?

Thanks,

Max
Richard Dalton
2004-01-03 15:40:16 UTC
I have had issues with my Sandisk 256 meg SD card from day 1 with the
Zaurus (5500). Since the problem has occured with all Roms I have tried it
must be a hardware thing. My latest difficulty has been after returning to
the TKC rom 1.0 and copying many .ipks and images to the SD card all was
fine for a few days. Lastly I installed some applications to the SD card and
finished with installing Opera to the SD card. All was fine for a few hours
then the SD card just disappeared and my shortcuts (desktop icons) were
broken. I found I could insert a 32 meg card from my Zire 71 and it would be
recognized and mounted and unmounted when removed. But if I reinserted my
Sandisk card it was as if it didn't even exist.

I truly enjoy the Zaurus, it makes a great learning tool/toy. But I would
never put any important data on it I didn't have elsewhere. Since this is my
first message to this list another gripe I have had is the confusion of too
many Roms and versions of .ipks, and which ipks work with which Rom? Thank
goodness for the Zaurus Rom Table. Also, although it is great to have ssh
for the Zaurus I believe security on a PDA is overblown especially since I
wouldn't have SSN's or credit card numbers on one, nor would I purchase
something via PDA.

Oh yeah, Whew, seven replies on how to copy a file from SD to CF ????